The current refugee crisis is something we simply cannot ignore. Often over the last few years we have seen the reports and images in the media showing the devastation and magnitude of one of the largest humanitarian crises the world has faced in decades.
We believe that as the Church, the body of Jesus Christ, we must respond to the needs of these people.
Earlier this year we launched our new vision and mission as KingsGate Church. The mission includes “Transforming the World”. This includes anything we can do to brings God’s love, peace and shalom – indeed something of the fullness and wholeness of His Kingdom – to the world around us.
This Autumn, we have an opportunity to get involved loving, serving and feeding refugees in Athens.
When & Where?
We will be going to refugee camps in Athens. We will go as two teams during these two weeks:
- 23-29 October
- 7-13 November
What will we be doing?
The need is very, very great, and our service will be one drop in a very big ocean, but it is our privilege and responsibility to do what we can in moments like this.
The main focus is around helping prepare food to feed 1000 refugees in a day. We will also be available to help in other ways including:
- helping sort in the distribution centre (where trucks come in with food and other items for the refugees)
- playing games with young kids
- helping with equipment that is given from charities in Sweden to local hospitals in Athens to help support the refugee crisis
- being available hands and feet for anything else that is needed in order to serve the refugees
How can you help?
- Volunteer a week of your time – come with us!
- Give financially – mark your giving as ‘Athens Gift’ and your donation will go towards other people who want to go on this trip but cannot afford it or directly towards needs of refugees in Athens.
Flights & Accommodation
Flight costs will vary depending on which week we go. We will be flying into Athens.
We are likely to stay at a hotel near the refugee camp which costs £10/night for bed & breakfast.
How do I sign up for more information?
Email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.